Bug bites can be painful and most people look for immediate relief. There are many essential oils that act as an insecticide and provide relief from bug bites. Wondering what essential oil is good for bug bites? Well, lavender oil is one such essential oil that can be used to effectively treat all symptoms of bug bites such as itching, inflammation, itching or stinging sensation. This oil has special anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that make it an excellent natural remedy for insect bites.
Here is how one can treat a bug bite with lavender oil:
- Wash the affected area with soap and lukewarm water
- Dilute the lavender oil with some type of carrier oil such as mineral or coconut oil for example
- Spead a few drops of lavender essential on the affected area
Let’s take a look at some of types of bug types and how to treat them:
- Mosquito bites: Household mosquitoes can be quite common and those suffering from these bites can use a diluted portion of lavender essential oil to the area to reduce puffiness, redness and itching sensation.
- Tick bites: These are small insects that feed on mammal blood. To treat this, the insect has to be removed from the affected area, after which, the affected area has to be rinsed with antibacterial soap. Apply lavender essential to the area three times a day to treat effectively. If swelling persists or symptoms such as fever persist, consult a doctor.
- Bee stings, ant bites: Bee stings can be quite painful and can be treated by applying a mixture of lavender oil and neem oil.
Given below is a recipe that can be used to treat any other type of insect/bug bite:
- 3 drops lavender essential oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 drop neem oil
- A sprinkle of salt
Mix all the above ingredients and store the same in an airtight jar.the mixture can also be used as an insect repellant. The oil can be applied on exposed skin or on the pulse points to prevent mosquito or other insect or bug bites.
Lavender essential oil can also be mixed with water and used as a room spray.
To treat inflammation, use the given recipe:
- Tea tree oil – 3 drops
- Lavender oil – 3 drops
- Peppermint tea – 50 ml
Mix tea tree oil and lavender oil and add the mixture to heated tea mixture. Fill this liquid in a spraying type bottle and spray the mixture to the swollen area two to three times in a day or until the inflammation reduces.
Lavender has been used as a medicine to treat insect bites since a very long time. In fact, it was first used to treat wounded soldiers during the First World War. One of the other plus points of this oil is that it can also be applied without dilution directly onto the skin. Apart from this the oil also helps relieve sense and induces a sense of peace and calm. It is often added to candles and incense sticks due to this reason. Another plus point of this type of essential oil is that it also be used on children.